Thursday, September 6, 2012

Sir vs. Master (repost 08/20/12)

As you already know from My first post, My Tumblr account was shut down just recently. I am trying to get it back up, but I have little faith in Tumblr, and so I quickly decided to repost all of the major articles and writings that I have a backup for right here on My BlogSpot, so that newcomers may read them if they choose to. 


During My journey, I’ve met several types of people, and each has their own protocol and manner. Being pretty laid back (am I?), I am not extremely strict on how protocol is performed. However, there is one detail I like to emphasize.

I’ve already mentioned in My Ten Commandments that My preferred form of address is “Sir,” as opposed to “Master.” I wanted to clarify a bit on that, and why I have that requirement.

As defined by a dictionary, the first five definitions of the word are as follows:
  1. a person with the ability or power to use, control, or dispose of something
  2. an owner of a slave, animal, etc.
  3. an employer of workers or servants.
  4. the male head of a household.
  5. a person eminently skilled in something, as an occupation,art, or science

I am going out on a limb, but I assume most people who desire to call Me “Master” wish to do so out of respect inspired from Definition 1. However, I interpret “Master” as being defined almost exclusively by Definition 5.

I believe that anyone My age who calls themselves “eminently skilled” might be cause for concern. In My eyes, “Master” means that there is little more to learn. It means that I consider Myself above others automatically. Now, I believe very strongly in My skills. But I am humbled by the people who I meet who are much more experienced than Myself. I call them “Master” or “Mistress,” because in My eyes, their skills are worthy of such a title. I feel that every day is a step forward in learning and growth. Therefore, as a rule, I don’t tend to like being called “Master” Myself, unless I am being addressed by someone regularly training under Me.

I am partial to “Sir” and “Boss,” depending on My mood. Both of them define respect, as opposed to superiority. And I love respect.

I’m less fond of complete doormats.

1 comment:

  1. it is thinking like this that makes a good sub want to show Sir Brian Respect

    ReplyDelete